Dating Guidelines and Safeguards for Teens
While it is important for teens to be aware of the risks involved in
pre-marital sex, the parents also play a vital role in safeguarding the
sexual purity of their children. Following are some suggestions for helping
your teen to remain sexually pure:
- Encourage group dating among trustworthy kids you know well. Explain
the importance of never being alone with their date.
- Know their friends and the guys/girls they are attracted to and hang
out with. Teach your kids the importance of choosing friends wisely.
- Frequently open your home to their friends.
- Keep the lines of communication open with your teens. They need to
feel free to discuss their interests, feelings, etc. with you without
fear that you will over-react or punish them unfairly. Initiate discussions
with them as opportunities arise. Take an interest in their lives while
respecting their privacy.
- Set and enforce strict curfews.
- Monitor Internet activity. Install protective software.
- Teach them the importance of avoiding sexually explicit movies, books,
- Teach them the importance of avoiding sexually stimulating activities
- Girls: Teach them the importance of dressing and behaving modestly.
- Girls: Teach them about the power of flirting and the danger of visual
stimulation and physical touch.
- Girls: Teach them about the differences in how men/women view sex.
- Boys: Teach them to respect all women of all ages.
- Boys: Teach them about appropriate boundaries (touching, kissing,
etc.)* with girls and the danger of engaging their hormones without
safeguards in place.
- Teach your teens what to look for in a lifelong mate and stress the
importance and the value of remaining sexually pure until marriage.
- The fact is that abstinence is the only 100% effective preventative
measure against sexually transmitted diseases, teen pregnancy, and all
the other consequences of sex outside of marriage. While opponents of
abstinence-only education will rave about "safe sex" through
use of condoms and detailed, explicit sex education, the only truly
effective safeguard against the perils of teen and extramarital sex
*We recommend no touching or kissing during the teen years.